5 Year Capsule Collection | Maroons Road Print Release

Over the course of 2017 we will be celebrating the milestone of 5 years as a brand. And to celebrate we will be releasing a series of special projects and limited releases over the course of the year. The Maroons Road photo print is the first piece of our 5 year Capsule Collection and available now here (8×10) and here (11×14).


_____________________

On December 1, 2013 we released our ‘Return to Glory’ Collection.

This release was the first appearance of our Maroons Road graphic. This graphic became one of our most sought after pieces. Since the graphics’ inception we have re-released the hoodie twice more. However, the t-shirt was never re-released.

The Winnipeg Arena broke ground on October 19, 1954 with a price tag of $2.5 million Canadian. The project would replace Shea’s Amphitheatre, which sat at the North-East corner of Whitehall Ave. and Colony Street; now the parking lot for Great West Life. The White House, as it would affectionately be referred to, would be erected at 1430 Maroons Road. It opened October 18, 1955 hosting its first hockey game played between the Winnipeg Warriors and the Calgary Stampeders of the Western Professional Hockey League.

The first tenants of the newly christened building were the Winnipeg Warriors, who occupied the arena until 1961 when the club was sold and relocated to San Francisco joining the league as the San Francisco Seals. In 1967 the arena wound find a new tenant with the Winnipeg Jets Junior Hockey Club of the newly founded Western Hockey League. The team would operate as the Clubs during the 1973-76 season and then be renamed to the Monarchs, playing in the arena until 1977 when they would be relocated to Calgary. One of the biggest moments in the history of the arena came on September 6, 1972 when the arena would find itself in the international spotlight hosting the third game of the infamous Summit Serious between the Soviet Union and Canada. The game would end in a 4-4 draw. After the Warriors relocated to Calgary a new era would be ushered in, embodied in the form of the Winnipeg Jets of the WHA. The Jets became the pride of the city hoisting three WHA championships. In 1979, after the demise of the WHA, the Jets alongside the Edmonton Oilers, New England Whalers, and Quebec Nordiques would join the National Hockey League. This merger resulted in the arena expanding its capacity to 15,565 seats through the construction of the upper decks on the east and west ends of the arena. It was also the same year that Francis Lawrence Jobin, the Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba, would commission the 5 metre by 7 metre painting of Queen Elizabeth II that would hang from the rafters. The Jets would share the building with the Winnipeg Warriors of the WHL (1980-84) and the Winnipeg Thunder (1992-94) who would start the season in the World Basketball League, which ended up folding before the schedule ended. The team would then join the National Basketball League, where they played until they, too, folded in 1994. Before the tears subsided from the departure of the Jets in 1996 a new tenant marched into town in the form of the Manitoba Moose of the International Hockey League. The Moose would be the arena’s last tenant, closing out the storied history on November 4, 2004 in front of a sold out crowd against the Utah Grizzlies as part of the American Hockey League.

The original Maroons Road graphic was taken by former Winnipegger and friend of the brand, William Shropshire, on December 30, 2005. The beloved but dilapidated building underwent demolition on March 26, 2006 in front of a small cast of diehard Winnipeg Jets fans. The strength of the “Go Jets, Go!” chant prevailed that brisk March morning as the planned implosion, which cost the City of Winnipeg $1.45 Million, failed to bring down the entire structure. The Maroons Road graphic depicts remnants of the main entrance located on the North side of the building, which sat across from Canad Inns Stadium divided by Maroons Road. Small alterations were made to the image, including the removal of the arm of a Hitachi 330 Excavator used in the gutting of the arena.